Lalatina

Progress: 17/555 pages
Plenty: One Man, One Woman, and a Raucous Year of Eating Locally
Alisa Smith, J.B. MacKinnon
Progress: 45 %
The End of the Affair - Graham Greene This was a great book to listen to; Colin Firth's voice was very dreamy- although I could say that about most foreign narrators. Right after starting the book I remembered that I had seen the movie. Julianne Moore, who I think is absolutely beautiful, played the role of Sarah Miles. Sarah is a bit selfish and completely unhappy in her marriage to the clueless (??maybe) Henry. She meets Maurice, a writer, and they begin a multi-year passionate affair. What struck me was the strong contradiction between how obsessed and "in love" Maurice is with Sarah with his strong hate and even cruel actions towards her.

I loved the setting of pre- and war time London and Greene writes that oh so well. I felt like I was there during the war and feeling all of the deprivations and anxieties that must of been rampant.

I loved Sarah- she was torn between duty and love. Henry was also very real to me and I wanted him to just go away and do his civil servant business. His neediness was just annoying by the end. I always hope fo the true love outcome and I wanted Maurice and Sarah to have that.

Greene is also talented in bringing forth satellite characters that add enourmous richness to the story. The private detective, Parkis, is one such character, his involvement provides opportunity for pity and hope.

Greene writes about those conflicting feelings that happen when you are in love right on point. The reader feels the strong emotions of love which we all know can easily spin into hate. It was also book of frustrations- wanting something/someone who can never be free.

My only complaint was around the deep religous themes. Maurice (or is it Greene) is so very angry at God and it plays out in the novel in a way that detracts from a great story. I get that he brought religous themes to his writing, but I felt that it was a bit too overdone. I get it, affairs are bad and bad people suffer for their sins.

I still want to read more of his work and if Mr. Firth narrates, that isn't a bad thing.