Lalatina

Progress: 17/555 pages
Plenty: One Man, One Woman, and a Raucous Year of Eating Locally
Alisa Smith, J.B. MacKinnon
Progress: 45 %

Gathering Blue (The Giver, #2)

Gathering Blue (The Giver, #2) - Lois Lowry Different from [b:The Giver|3636|The Giver (The Giver, #1)|Lois Lowry|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1342493368s/3636.jpg|2543234], but still very good.

The setting felt rustic and medieval despite the fact that this is many years into the future. Scary really when you think how basic our lives would quickly become without electricity or other modern life helpers.

I was also struck by the hardness of the post-apocalypse survivors and the disintegration of caring parents. Children are a nuisance for the most part and cared for only in the most basic way. It is a fend for yourself survival mode for almost all. Feelings also parallel basic needs: food, water and sleep are priorities; no time for love or dreaming.

Kira, the heroine of the story, starts out defenseless and weak but finds ways to strengthen herself and those around her. I really like the subtle way Lowry weaves life lessons for YA readers into the story.

I did enjoy having just a taste of the secrets surrounding the community. And I hope that the third book in the series wraps up some of these unknowns.