Lalatina

Progress: 17/555 pages
Plenty: One Man, One Woman, and a Raucous Year of Eating Locally
Alisa Smith, J.B. MacKinnon
Progress: 45 %
The Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places in the World (Audio CD ) - Eric Weiner An interesting concept around what makes people happy: Switzerland has happy folks, Moldova, well not so much. Weiner discovers that maybe it is because when life is predictable and there are societal rules to follow in your country, life is better. It makes sense. I want to know that corruption isn't driving decisions around whether I get quality food at the market or a job to support my family. Not saying that there is no corruption in happy places, but perhaps everyone feels like they have a fair shot. It is also comforting to know that your neighbors are following the same rules that make life bearable.

So that's one theory...the rest is a mishmash of travels and some bizarre information. Anyone can be an artist in Iceland because failure is good. It's not seen as a stigma as it is in the US. Did he really say that??

Weiner states that Qatar doesn't have a sense of heritage or culture but lots of money. I agree with the money part but I find it hard to believe that Qatar sprung up out of the sand overnight.

I don't like generalizations, epecially about different countries or cultures. And I also believe that folks who take surveys on the best or worst of things are usually a small sample and are usually the most vocal.

Ok as an audiobook, but not a travel book I would run out and get.